Winners of Student Poster Contest Illustrate the Importance of Water-Use Efficiency
Six elementary school students have been selected as the winners of the Otay Water District’s newly relaunched “Water is Life” Student Poster Contest for best illustrating the value of water that is used inside and outside the home. As one of the District’s various educational programs, the contest offers an opportunity for students to showcase their creativity while reflecting on the importance of using water as efficiently as possible in their daily lives.
In April 2019, more than 245 students from 10 different schools in the District’s service area submitted entries. The District judged the entries based on two categories: grades K-3 and 4-6. A first, second, and third prize winner from each category was selected to be awarded a certificate, gift card, art kit, and goodie bag. The two first place winners also received a pizza party for their entire class. All six winners will be recognized and have their posters displayed at the District’s monthly Board of Directors meeting on August 7. The winners include:
- Jeeanna Mendoza, Grade 3, Camarena Elementary School (first place; K-3)
- Amerie Constantino, Grade 1, Wolf Canyon Elementary School (second place; K-3)
- Miguel-Angel Gonzalez, Grade 2, Wolf Canyon Elementary School (third place; K -3)
- Maya Santana, Grade 5, Wolf Canyon Elementary School (first place; 4-6)
- Malayiah Williams, Grade 5, Wolf Canyon Elementary School (second place; 4-6)
- Rin Smith, Grade 5, Wolf Canyon Elementary School (third place; 4-6)
In addition, the District selected five out of the six winning posters to enter the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California’s 2020 Metropolitan Student Art Calendar Contest. MWD will select 36 posters from its overall regional entries to be displayed in its 2020 “Water is Life” calendar. The winners will be honored at a student art exhibit and recognition event in December.
The winning posters are revealed below.
To learn more about the Otay Water District’s “Water is Life” Student Poster Contest, visit otaywater.gov/education.