Financial Assistance Programs Available to Help Rental Customers Impacted by COVID-19 Pay Utility Bills
Have you been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and need help to pay your past-due water bills? Financial assistance (based on available funds) is now available to eligible Otay Water District customers who are behind on rent and utilities.
Renters in qualifying areas of San Diego County, the City of Chula Vista and the City of San Diego, may apply for an Emergency Rental and Utilities Assistance Program. There are no deadlines to apply for these programs, but applications will be accepted until funds are exhausted. NOTE: the Otay Water District does not administer these programs. Programs are administered by respective cities and counties.
For details and to apply for financial assistance, click on a program listed below. For specific questions regarding your Otay Water District bill, payment options, and extensions/arrangements, contact Otay’s customer service at (619) 670-2222, by email email@example.com new email, or click here to learn more.
|opens in a new windowCounty of San Diego COVID-19 Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program|
The program provides payment assistance to eligible renters in qualifying areas of San Diego County. Applications will be accepted until funds are exhausted. Only one application per household will be processed. Applicants may check their status on the application portal at any point in the process. If you need assistance in completing an application, call (858) 694-4801. opens in a new windowFor more on eligibility requirements and to apply, click here.
|• Carlsbad||• El Cajon||• Imperial Beach||• National City||• San Marcos||• Vista|
|• Coronado||• Encinitas||• La Mesa||• Oceanside||• Santee||• Unincorporated|
|• Del Mar||• Escondido||• Lemon Grove||• Poway||• Solana Beach||communities|
• Household income must be at or below 80% Area Median Income (see income limits below).
• Household must have experienced a financial hardship directly or indirectly related to COVID-19.
• Household is at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
• Households currently receiving rental subsidies such as Section 8, rapid rehousing assistance, or rental assistance from nonprofit agencies may apply to cover their portion of rent. ERAP assistance cannot duplicate the assistance the household is currently receiving.
|Number of people in household:||Income equal to or less than 80% AMI:|
|opens in a new windowCity of Chula Vista COVID-19 Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program|
The program provides payment assistance to eligible renters in the City of Chula Vista. The program’s first prioritization is payment assistance for renters behind on rent. The second prioritization, if funding is still available, is payment assistance for renters behind on utility payments. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. opens in a new windowFor more on eligibility requirements and to apply, click here.
• Eligible zip codes: 91902,91910, 91911, 91913, 91914, 91915
• 91902 is a shared zip code with the County of San Diego. To determine which program to apply for, opens in a new windowclick here.
• Combined income of all persons in the household must fall at or below 80% Area Median Income (see income limits below).
• Households must have experienced a reduction in income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due directly or indirectly to COVID-19.
• Household must be at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, evidence of such may include a past due utility or rent notice or eviction notice, unsafe or unhealthy living conditions, or any other evidence of risk.
• Household must not receive any other forms of rental subsidy such as Section 8 or other rental assistance programs, rapid rehousing assistance, or rental assistance from nonprofit agencies.
|Number of people in household:||80% AMI: 50% (Priority): |
|1|| $64,700 $40,540 |
|opens in a new windowCity of San Diego COVID-19 Housing Stability Assistance Program|
The program provides help to individuals and families in the City of San Diego who have experienced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is required to give priority to paying past-due, unpaid rent. If a qualifying household has both past-due, unpaid rent and utilities, the program can help with both at the same time. opens in a new windowFor more on eligibility requirements and to apply, click here.
• Tenants with a City of San Diego address.
• Household has an obligation to pay rent.
• Household does not currently receive any rental subsidies. Households that receive rental subsidies can only apply for help with their past-due utilities. Assistance will depend on funding availability.
• At least one member of the household has a reduction of income or other financial hardship due to COVID-19.
• Household experienced or is at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
• Household income is at or below 80 percent of San Diego’s Area Median Income (AMI), currently $92,400 per year for a family of four.
• Priority will be given to households with income at or below 50 percent of San Diego’s AMI ($57,750 per year for a family of four). At least one member of the household has been unemployed for 90 days and remains unemployed.
NOTE: the Otay Water District does not administer these programs. Programs are administered by respective cities and counties.