Otay Announces 2023 Student Poster Contest
Make every drop count with art! The Otay Water District has launched its annual Student Poster Contest with a new theme: “being water wise is…”
Participants must create a poster illustrating the importance of using water efficiently every day. Students are encouraged to showcase their creativity while reflecting on our most precious resource — water.
The contest is open to students in grades kindergarten through 12 attending a school located within the boundaries of the Otay Water District’s service area.
The District will judge each entry based on the three categories: elementary, middle, and high school. First- and second-place winners from each category will be awarded a $50-$75 gift card, art kit, goody bag, and a certificate of recognition.
All six winners will be recognized at an Otay Water District board meeting and be featured in the District’s newsletter, website, social media, and other promotional materials. The District will also submit up to 15 posters in the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California’s student calendar contest.
Entries must also follow the guidelines and criteria listed below.
THEME AND GUIDELINES:
- Posters should depict the theme of “being water wise is…” which relates to using water wisely inside and outside of the home, school, business, community, environment, agriculture, and recreation.
- The entry form must be completed, signed, and submitted with each artwork (click here to download).
- The contest is limited to students in grades kindergarten through 12. Students must be attending a school within the District’s service area. If you are not in the District’s service area, other water districts may be hosting their own contests. To locate your water district, enter your school’s address here.
- All entries become the property of the Otay Water District and the Metropolitan Water District. Submissions may or may not be returned. The agencies have the right to use any selected poster for the Water is Life Student Art Calendar and for other public relations use.
- The District reserves the right to question or disqualify any artwork that is clearly not the work of the student based on their age and grade level.
ART SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Water conservation or stewardship should be reflected in the artwork, for example, turning off the water while brushing your teeth, taking short showers, protecting water from pollution, or collecting rainwater in buckets and reusing it to water plants.
- Under/oversized artwork will not be eligible.
- Artwork must be drawn on 12×18” or 8.5×11” white drawing paper (no lines).
- Posters must be drawn horizontally (landscape orientation).
- A brief water message must be written on the artwork (“being water wise is…” can be the message but it is not mandatory). The less text, the better. Words must be spelled correctly!
- Artwork must be original (no computer-generated, trademarked, or copyrighted images can be used, i.e., Snoopy, SpongeBob, Dora the Explorer, etc.). No repeat artwork from past years.
- You can use crayons, paint, markers, ink, pencils, chalk, cut paper, or fabric. Bright colors are best!
The deadline to enter the contest is 5 p.m. on Friday, June 2, 2023. Submit by mail or drop off entries to:
Attn: Eileen Salmeron
Otay Water District
2554 Sweetwater Springs Blvd.
Spring Valley, CA 91978
If you would prefer to submit digitally, please email Eileen Salmeron at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Artwork will be judged based on the theme, originality, and visual and word clarity. The District will judge the posters in three categories: elementary, middle, and high school. First- and second-place winners from each category will be chosen.
1st Place: $75 gift card, certificate, art set, and water-related goody bag.
2nd Place: $50 gift card, certificate, art set, and water-related goody bag.
Winning artwork will be featured in the District’s newsletter, social media, website, and other promotional materials. Winners (students and parents/guardians) will be asked to fill out a photo release form to be featured in the promotional materials. Selected posters may, through further competition, be used as part of the Metropolitan Water District’s traveling art show, 2024 student art calendar, and graphic art materials. Winners, parents, and teachers may be invited to a recognition ceremony. Attendance is optional.
For more information, contact Eileen Salmeron at (619) 670-2255 or email@example.com.