Otay Announces Its Water is Life Student Poster Contest
Make every drop count with art! The Otay Water District has launched its 2020 Student Poster Contest for kindergarten through twelfth grade students attending schools located within the Otay Water District’s service area. Participants are encouraged to create a poster with the theme of “Water is Life” and demonstrate the importance of water-use efficiency inside and outside the home. The contest is a great opportunity for students to showcase their creativity while reflecting on their most precious resource – water – and the importance of using it as efficiently in their daily lives.
The District will judge the entries in three categories: elementary, middle, and high school. A first and second winner will be awarded from each category. Each of the six chosen participants will win a certificate with their name on it, $50-$75 gift card, art kit, and goodie bag.
The winners will be recognized at the District’s Board meeting in August and be featured in the District’s newsletter, website, social media, and in other promotional materials. In addition, five of the six winners will have their poster entered into the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California’s 2021 student calendar contest and traveling art show.
To enter, participants must complete and sign the entry form (click here to download) and attach it to the back of their poster. Participants must have attended a school located within the boundaries of the Otay Water District’s service area within the months of February through June 2020. If you are not in the District’s service area, other water districts may be participating in MWD’s poster contest. To locate your water district, click here and enter your school’s address.
Entries must also follow the guidelines and criteria listed below. Deadline to enter is Friday, May 1, 2020.
THEME AND GUIDELINES:
- Posters should depict the theme “Water is Life,” which relates to water being used wisely inside and outside of the home, school, business, community, environment, agriculture, and in recreation. The theme of conservation and stewardship should be reflected in the artwork.
- The entry form must be completed, signed, and attached to the back of each artwork.
- The contest is limited to grades K-12.
- All entries become the property of the Otay Water District and the Metropolitan Water District. The submission may or may not be returned. The agencies have the right to use any selected poster for the “Water is Life” student art calendar and for any other public relations use.
ART SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Artwork must be drawn on 12×18 or 8.5×11 inch WHITE drawing paper (no lines) or WHITE poster board.
- Under/oversized artwork will not be eligible.
- Artwork drawn on 12×18 inch paper must have at least a 1 inch blank border on all four sides.
- Posters must be drawn horizontally (landscape orientation).
- A brief water message must be written on the artwork (“water is life” can be the message, but is not mandatory). The less text, the better. Words must be spelled correctly!
- Artwork must be original (no computer-generated, trademarked, or copyrighted images can be used, i.e. Snoopy, SpongeBob, Dora the Explorer, etc.). No repeat artwork from past years.
- You can use crayons, paint, markers, ink, pencils, chalk, cut paper, or fabric. Bright colors are best!
Submit entries (postmark or drop off) by 5 p.m. on Friday, May 1, 2020 to:
Attn: Eileen Salmeron
Otay Water District
2554 Sweetwater Springs Blvd.
Spring Valley, CA 91978
The Otay Water District will judge the posters in three categories: elementary, middle, and high school. A first and second place winner from each category will be chosen. The posters will be judged based on the selection criteria, including the theme, originality, and visual and word clarity. The District reserves the right to question or disqualify any artwork that is clearly not the work of the student based on their age and grade level.
1st Place:$75 gift card, certificate, art set, and water-related goodie bag.
2nd Place: $50 gift card, certificate, art set, and water-related goodie bag.
Winning artwork will be featured in the District’s newsletter, social media, website, and other promotional materials. Winners (students and parents/guardians) will be asked to fill out a photo release form to showcase their posters in the promotional materials. Selected posters may, through further competition, be used as part of the Metropolitan Water District’s traveling art show, 2021 student art calendar, and in graphic art materials. If selected for the MWD calendar, students, parents, and teachers may be invited to attend a recognition ceremony in Los Angeles. Attendance is optional.
For more information contact: Eileen Salmeron at (619) 670-2255 or firstname.lastname@example.org