Otay Announces Its ‘Water is Life’ Student Poster Contest
Make every drop count with art! The Otay Water District has launched its annual Student Poster Contest for students in grades kindergarten through 12 within the District’s service area. Participants are encouraged to create a poster with the theme of “Water is Life” and illustrate the importance of using water efficiently. This is an opportunity for students to showcase their creativity while reflecting on our most precious resource — water.
The District will judge each entry based on the three categories: elementary, middle, and high school. First- and second-place winners from each category will be awarded a $50-$75 gift card, art kit, goody bag, and a certificate of recognition.
All six winners will be recognized at one of the District’s Board meetings in 2021 and be featured in the District’s newsletter, website, social media, and other promotional materials. Note: Board meetings are currently held virtually due to COVID-19. Also, up to 15 posters will be entered into the opens in a new windowMetropolitan Water District of Southern California’s 2022 student calendar contest.
To enter, participants must complete and sign the entry form opens in a new window(click here to download)opens PDF file and include it with their poster submission. Participants must be attending a school located within the boundaries of the Otay Water District’s service area. If you are not in the District’s service area, other water districts may be participating in MWD’s poster contest. To locate your water district, enter your school’s address here.
Entries must also follow the guidelines and criteria listed below.
THEME AND GUIDELINES:
- Posters should depict the theme “Water is Life,” which using water wisely inside and outside of the home, school, business, community, environment, agriculture, and recreation.
- The entry form must be completed, signed, and submitted with each artwork.
- The contest is limited to students in grades kindergarten through 12. Students must be attending a school within the District’s service area.
- All entries become the property of the Otay Water District and the Metropolitan Water District. Submissions may or may not be returned. The agencies have the right to use any selected poster for the “Water is Life” student art calendar and for other public relations use.
- The District reserves the right to question or disqualify any artwork that is clearly not the work of the student based on their age and grade level.
ART SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Water conservation or stewardship should be reflected in the artwork, for example, turning off the water while brushing your teeth, taking short showers, protecting water from pollution, or collecting rainwater in buckets and reusing it to water plants.
- Under/oversized artwork will not be eligible.
- Artwork must be drawn on 12×18” or 8.5×11” white drawing paper (no lines) or white poster board.
- Posters must be drawn horizontally (landscape orientation).
- A brief water message must be written on the artwork (“water is life” can be the message but is not mandatory). The less text, the better. Words must be spelled correctly!
- Artwork must be original (no computer-generated, trademarked, or copyrighted images can be used, i.e. Snoopy, SpongeBob, Dora the Explorer, etc.). No repeat artwork from past years.
- You can use crayons, paint, markers, ink, pencils, chalk, cut paper, or fabric. Bright colors are best!
The deadline to enter the contest is 5 p.m. on Friday, June 18, 2021. Submit by mail or drop off entries to:
Attn: Eileen Salmeron
Otay Water District
2554 Sweetwater Springs Blvd.
Spring Valley, CA 91978
Note: If you would prefer to submit digitally, please email Eileen Salmeron at firstname.lastname@example.org new email.
Artwork will be judged based on the theme, originality, and visual and word clarity. The District will judge the posters in three categories: elementary, middle, and high school. First- and second-place winners from each category will be chosen.
1st Place: $75 gift card, certificate, art set, and water-related goody bag.
2nd Place: $50 gift card, certificate, art set, and water-related goody bag.
Winning artwork will be featured in the District’s newsletter, social media, website, and other promotional materials. Winners (students and parents/guardians) will be asked to fill out a photo release form to be featured in the promotional materials. Selected posters may, through further competition, be used as part of the Metropolitan Water District’s traveling art show, 2022 student art calendar, and graphic art materials. Winners, parents, and teachers may be invited to a recognition ceremony. Attendance is optional.
For more information contact: Eileen Salmeron at (619) 670-2255 or email@example.com new email.