– Rain Barrel | $50 per barrel (maximum of 2)
– Cistern | $300 (200-500 gallon capacity) (maximum of 1)
– Cistern | $375 (501-999 gallon capacity) (maximum of 1)
– Cistern | $450 (1,000+ gallon capacity) (maximum of 1)
– Weather Based Irrigation Controller (WBIC) | $130 (under 1 irrigated acre)
– Weather Based Irrigation Controller (WBIC) | $35 (per station over 1 irrigated acre)
– Rotating Sprinkler Nozzles | $2 per nozzle (minimum of 30)
– Moisture Sensor | $80 ($35 per irrigation controller)
– Flow Monitoring Device | $125
NOTE: Supplemental incentives are limited to the actual device cost (actual device cost is the retail price of the device excluding tax, shipping, labor, or other charges). Rebates listed above are subject to change or termination at any time by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
– Premium High-Efficiency Toilets | $40/Toilet
– Ultra Low and Zero Water Urinals | $200
– Plumbing Flow Control Valves | $5/Valve (minimum of 10)
– Irrigation Controller | $35/Irrigation Controller Station
– Soil Moisture Sensor Systems | $35/Irrigation Controller Station
– Rotating Nozzles for Pop-up Spray Heads | $2/Nozzle
– Large Rotary Nozzles | $13/Set
– In-Stem Flow Regulators | $1/Regulator
– Air-cooled Ice Machines | $1,000
– Connectionless Food Steamers | $485/Compartment
NOTE: Rebates listed above are subject to change or termination at any time by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
REBATES FOR CUSTOMERS LIVING IN UNINCORPORATED AREAS OF SAN DIEGO COUNTY (COMMERCIAL AND RESIDENTIAL) :
From your landscape to your hardscape – and everything in-between! – the County of San Diego partnered with the San Diego County Water Authority, Otay Water District, and other regional water agencies to launch the new Waterscape Rebate Program, which offers high-value rebates to help upgrade residential and commercial customers’ outdoor spaces while saving money and water!
Property owners in unincorporated areas can receive:
– Rebates starting at $3 and up to $6 per sq ft to replace high-water use turf with water-smart plants.
– $80 towards the purchase of weather-based irrigation controllers (WBIC) or $60 per WBIC station.
– Up to $2,100 to capture rain through a rain barrel, cistern, garden, or other rain-saving feature.
– Rebates starting at $3 per sq. ft plus customized landscape design services to transform large turf areas with water-wise landscaping (minimum of 10,000 sq. ft of turf).
– Up to $5,000 per grower to install irrigation upgrades recommended by an expert during a free Agricultural Irrigation Efficiency evaluation.
– $100 to pump your home’s septic tank and prevent costly repairs.
– $15 per sq. ft to upgrade old driveways and parking lots with pavers or porous pavement.
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California’s Turf Replacement Program offers at least $2.00 per square foot to qualified residents and businesses who replace their turf with water-efficient landscaping features.
NOTE: Please do not start your turf removal project until you have applied to the program and received an official notice to proceed.
WSCIP is a large landscape and technology-focused program, which targets qualified landscape contractors and self-managed sites. WSCIP offers four incentivized water-efficient devices, that when installed in combination, are among the irrigation industry’s best management practices. The four devices include the following:
– Smart Irrigation Controllers | $35/Station
– High-Efficiency Sprinkler Nozzles | $6/Nozzle
– Flow Sensors | $60/Sensor
– Drip Irrigation | $0.20/ Square Foot
Bundling these four items leads to the greatest water efficiency, but at least two items must be installed to participate in the rebate program. This program is co-funded by San Diego County Water Authority and the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
Control your irrigation costs with a free WaterSmart Checkup. Receive site-specific water-saving recommendations and observations from a certified irrigation professional.
WATERSMART LANDSCAPING CLASSES AND RESOURCES:
Living WaterSmart is about rethinking how we use our limited water resources and making the right choices for water efficiency. It not only helps save money, but it creates vibrant yards, reduces energy use, protects our natural resources, and reduces landscape maintenance. This website offers a list of tips, programs, incentives, classes, and events for living a WaterSmart lifestyle.
Metropolitan Water District’s portal bewaterwise.com offers water-saving rebates and grants, landscape classes, and tons of helpful tips to lower your water use. Learn a new set of water-wise gardening and practices distinguished from the rest of Southern California.
THE WATER CONSERVATION GARDEN:
Looking for ideas on how to make your landscape more water-efficient? Visit the Water Conservation Garden in El Cajon for a free docent-guided tour of their exhibits. Explore the various gardens — native habitat, compost, veggie, and succulent — for ideas and inspiration. Book a landscape design consultation with a licensed professional or learn new techniques at one of their many classes.
MASTER GARDENER ASSOCIATION OF SAN DIEGO COUNTY:
This free online resource can answer your gardening questions and offers guidance on your various garden-related needs. Master Gardeners are volunteers trained and certified by the University of California Cooperative Extension.
WATERSMART LANDSCAPE CONTEST:
Previously known as the California-Friendly Landscape Contest, this annual competition rewards water-efficient landscapes created by residential customers of the Otay Water District. Be recognized for your work in water conservation and neighborhood beautification – enter the contest for a chance to win various competition.
FIND A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPER:
- Qualified Water Efficient Landscapers (QWEL) – Find a QWEL-certified professional in your area that will help meet your landscape needs and outdoor water use. For details, click here.
- Irrigation Association – Find certified landscape irrigation designers, auditors, water managers, and more. For details, click here.
- California Landscape Contractors Association – Find tips on how to hire a landscape contractor. For details, click here.
Not sure how much water you use inside your home? Use the Homewaterworks Calculator to show which water uses in your home are efficient and which are not.
Measure and estimate water waste due to leaks.
You do not need to be a plumber to fix the most common toilet problems. Use this free online resource to learn about the different types of toilets, how to fix and replace them, and more.
TOILET PERFORMANCE STUDY:
This resource provides performance information on over 1,800 different toilets including over 940 WaterSense certified high-efficiency toilets.
Otay Water District has been an EPA WaterSense partner since 2008. WaterSense is a partnership program sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Its mission is to protect the future of our nation’s water supply by promoting and enhancing the market for water-efficient products and services. Reduce water use by choosing products bearing the WaterSense label. These are generally 20 percent more water-efficient than similar products in the marketplace.
PROPERTY ASSESSED CLEAN ENERGY FINANCING (PACE):
The PACE program provides home and business owners the opportunity to make water and energy improvements to their properties with little or no up-front costs
QUALIFIED WATER EFFICIENT LANDSCAPER TRAINING (QWEL):
Take a free 20-hour course that provides a proactive, localized approach to reducing landscape water demand. Course includes principles of proper plant selection for the local climate, irrigation system design and maintenance, and irrigation system programming and operation.
To obtain a QWEL certificate, you must demonstrate the ability to perform an irrigation system audit and pass the QWEL exam.
WILDFIRE MANAGEMENT OUTSIDE THE HOME:
Being ready for wildfire starts with maintaining defensible space, hardening your home, and planning to evacuate in case of an emergency. Find the right wildfire action plan for your family and home.