About Otay

about us

What is the Otay Water District?

Otay Water District is a water, recycled water, and sewer service provider. The State Legislature authorized the establishment of the Otay Water District in 1956 as a California Special District under the provisions of the Municipal Water District Law of 1911, Division 20 (commencing with Section 71000) of the Water Code of the State of California. Otay Water District is a “revenue neutral” public agency where each end user pays only his or her fair share of the District’s costs of acquiring, treating, transporting, or the operation and maintenance of the public water, recycled water, or sewer facilities.

Five directors, elected by voters to serve respective divisions, set the District’s ordinances, policies, taxes, and rates for service. Members of the Board of Directors serve four-year terms of office.

The Board of Directors typically meets in open public session on the first Wednesday of each month at 3:30 p.m. at District headquarters. The public is welcome to attend these meetings.

The District provides water service to customers within 125.5 square miles of southeastern San Diego County, California. Its facilities serve the water, recycled water, and the sewer needs of customers residing in the communities of Spring Valley, La Presa, Rancho San Diego, Jamul, eastern Chula Vista, and eastern Otay Mesa along the international border with Mexico.

The potable water delivered by Otay Water District is purchased from the San Diego County Water Authority or the Helix Water District. Imported water is a mix of waters from the Colorado River and Northern California. Most of the water is purchased from the region’s primary importer, the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.

Otay Water District owns and operates a wastewater collection system providing public sewer service to homes and businesses within the Jamacha drainage basin. The District delivers recycled water to customers through a dedicated distribution system where it is used to irrigate golf courses, playing fields, public parks, roadside landscapes, and open space in eastern Chula Vista.